Crystals are a great way to help us move further along in life. They come from the earth and have a multitude of healing benefits. Crystals and stones can be used to aid mind, body, and spirit which makes them an amazing form of self-healing. All we have to do is meditate with crystals or carry one around in a piece of jewelry or in your pocket. It is helpful to set an intention to let the stone know what you wish to receive from it. Remember that many of these little gems have been around for millions of years so respect them like your eldest ancestors. An example of an intention would be, "I am using this Rose Quartz for the highest good, to soften and open my heart". Finish the intention with, "... and whatever the crystal deems necessary." because the crystal might have even greater gifts to give at this time. Remember that each time you work with a crystal will be a little different so don't expect the same experience. They heal us a little more each time.
There are so many crystals out there so how do you begin? There are so many different types of crystals and stones and each one is different from the next. Even if you have two Amethysts, They will not heal exactly the same. The mineral make-up and growing conditions will vary in each even if they are from the same mine. Your best guide for buying is your intuition, buy what you are drawn to. If going this route be sure to ground and meditate for a little bit prior to shopping. Also pay close attention to any crystal gifts that you receive, there is a reason you were gifted the crystal.
Following are my 8 top picks to begin a self healing collection. They will cover all of the chakras for optimal health and help you to excel in life.
1. Clear Quartz - If you can only have one crystal then it has got to be this! Clear Quartz is considered the Master Healer because it can be programmed to do anything that any other crystal can do. Some Crystal Healers only work with Clear Quartz for this reason. It brings in more light and transmutes negative energies into positive. Clear Quartz can be used on any chakra. This stone is fire elemental energy. It is too strong for some when used in a rough or terminated form. A tumbled Quartz like shown in the photo lets out a gentler energy.
2. Petrified Wood - A fantastic second choice for a healing stone is Petrified Wood. Petrified Wood is an earth elemental stone and will help to ground and root you to the earth. When we are connected to the earth we are confident and able to draw on her energies for healing. It is incredibly strengthening and revitalizing. Just like the tree had mineral split on it and developed into a beautiful stone, Petrified Wood aids you into developing into your strongest and best self. This is a root Chakra Stone and we always want to be grounded when healing.
3. Rose Quartz - My third pick would be Rose Quart which can be used for healing, attracting love, and personal growth. It is such a soothing crystal for the Heart Chakra. Most think of it as a stone to attract love, but it's great for attracting friendship as well. Isn't it best to have relationships that start out as friendships? Rose Quartz invites love and compassion energy. It's also a nice little stone to have around when healing the heart after a heart break. Lastly, we should consider that our biggest place of growth is from the heart. Bringing more love energy in brings on these growth spurts.
4. Amethyst - Is also from the Quartz family, but this is water/air energy. This is a great crystal for opening up your intuition. It connect you with your Third Eye and Crown Chakras allowing your guides to come through. It's wonderfully calming which enables you to read the messages and signs. This is also a great little crystal to have around to rid yourself of headaches and migraines. Because of it calming properties, Amethyst is also good for insomnia. Try bringing some into the bath for an extra relaxing tub. One by the bedside table can ensure a restful sleep.
5. Citrine - I love, love, love Citrine! It may be my favorite crystal. Citrine is the Abundance Crystal. If you are looking to manifest something of need more abundance in your life then Citrine is for you. This is a fire energy crystal so you may want to stick with the tumbled version for gentler energy. See how it feels in your hands. Cirine is great for the digestive system and personal power. It will make you feel confident and more abundant in all areas of your life. This is a Solar Plexus Chakra stone.
6. Amazonite - Is such an amazing stone for the creative process, it connects us with our higher selves. Amazonite aids us in creating the life we are meant to live. It reminds us of why we are here in this life. As a Throat Chakra stone it allows for confident and guided self expression. The Throat Chakra is in charge of creative expression and Amazonite will bring that to a higher form.
7. Carnelian - Carnelian is another of my favorites. It is wonderfully grounding as an earth elemental. This stone is highly revitalizing with its red energy which makes it great for your health. Carnelian will connect you with your tribe. It is both a Root and Sacral Chakra stone allowing for the integration of emotions and the release of all fears. Carnelian will keep you motivated.
8. Onyx - Is a wonderfully protective stone for anyone to have around them. The black absorbs negativity and changes it into light. It has been used for mourning and to absorb sadness since early times. Onyx is a Root Chakra stone which makes it great for grounding and releasing uneasiness. Black stones make wonderful protectors. Some choose to grid rooms with them by placing one in each corner.
Be sure to clean your crystals and stones every now and then. - Placing them in the moonlight for several hours is probably the safest way to clean crystals. Some dissolve in water and others fade in the sunlight. Moonlight is a great option so just place them on the sill. You can also smudge them or use incense. Feel free to ask any questions that arise.